Mondays - Thursdays, 8:30 - 11:30, plus 30 minute prep for 3.5 hours/day.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The English Language Institute at New Haven Adult School seeks an innovative and qualified, English language teacher to join our team. Candidates should have a strong background in education with an equally strong commitment to student success. The position will involve teaching adult students English and instilling in them the confidence and skills they need to succeed in a high school or entry level college English course. The successful applicant will be motivated with a keen interest in encouraging and inspiring students to love learning and to become lifelong learners. The person we are looking for is enthusiastic, creative, and interested in implementing learning strategies that support authentic learning environments while being relevant and engaging.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct instruction to Advanced ESL students on topics pertaining to structured essay development and proper formatting on Google Docs.
- Assign, collect, review, and give feedback on writing.
- Use online tools such as email, Google applications and other online courseware.
- Sustain college preparatory rigor by adhering to the curriculum and scheduled syllabus.
- Provide students with the support and motivational communication needed to help. transition Adult School students into high school, workforce or college.
- Maintain and submit attendance records.
- Assist with student retention efforts.
- Complete required surveys as directed.
- Attend monthly PLC/PD meetings.
- He/She must have a strong knowledge of vocabulary and grammar, with a passion for reading and writing, and an understanding of thought development, organization, and the College and Career Readiness Standards.
- Teach essay writing skills, proofreading skills, and writing-reading connection and explain advanced grammar concepts.
- Integrate the use of technology with education.
- Use and teach basic Google Doc essay formatting techniques.
- Prepare students for high school/college level coursework.
- Exhibit empathy for adults with limited skills and/or English language ability.
- Social needs of adult learners
DISTRICT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of an appropriate academic Adult Education California Teaching Credential, preferably in English.
- Fingerprints on file as required by State law and TB Skin Test as required by State law.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Via EDJOIN
- Include a cover letter describing your experience and interest in teaching writing and computer skills, a current resume and a copy of (or hyperlink to) your credential.
- Credential Copy
- 3 Letter(s) of Recommendation
PAY RATE RANGE
Hourly: $34.90 -- $37.34
- Via EMAIL only. No phone calls please
- Tamecca Brewer, English Language Institute Program Manager