The purpose of this course is to introduce students to college-level reading and writing requirements, to use educational technology tools/resources and to gain independent learning strategies needed to succeed in college-level courses.
- Read, discuss and answer questions from college textbooks in literature, US History, American Government, Psychology, and Pre-Algebra
- Increase vocabulary and critical thinking skills for college-level reading
- Learn how to plan, organize and write expository essays
- Learn to conduct online research
- Type essays on a Google doc and MS Word and create presentations on MS PowerPoint
Upcoming Start Dates: Start any time after your placement assessment.
Class Dates: SEPT 10 - MAR 21, 2019
- Writing Class: Monday-Thursday 11:45-1:45 (Required)
- Writing Computer Lab: Tue & Wed 9:45–11:30am (Optional, if you have a computer at home)
Prerequisites: CASAS 905R Reading score of 28 or higher AND Basic computer skills. High school diploma NOT required. Students must be able to attend class during the summer.
How To Enroll
¨ Complete and submit the enrollment application (see link at bottom of page)
¨ Attend the CTE Placement Assessment meeting in room 13 at one of the following times:
CURRENT ESL, HSD, & ABE STUDENTS
NEW AND RETURNING STUDENTS
- 10:45am on Mondays 10/8, 12/10, 1/7, 1/15 & 1/29
- 5:30pm on Thur 12/13 & Tues 1/8, & 1/15